The Consumer Protection Unit (CPU) was established in 2011 and functions under the Social Protection Directorate with a view of controlling and monitoring of the quality and standards of imported and export cargo against the existing regulations and standards of the country. It ensures all the Conditional Imports are conform to the required standard and any non compliance goods will be reshipped or destroyed. Consumer and Environmental Protection Unit is the dedicated IPR Office of Sri Lanka Customs for Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) related issues on imports and exports. Any "Action for Application" on Intellectual Property Right infringement will be handled by this unit. This unit also contribute to protect the environment through the enforcement of obligation of international Conventions through collaboration with other related agencies. In addition to Law Enforcement it conducts awareness programmes for Customs staff together with other stake holders. The consumer protection unit always gives priority to health and safety of the people of the country.
* Objectives of CPU
- Coordinate and regularize Social Protection functions carried out by Sri Lanka Customs on Behalf of other agencies.
- Protection of consumer rights and implementation of related laws.
- Implementation of Intellectual Property Act at the boarders
- Control the illicit trade and facilitate legitimate international trade.
* Organizational Structure of CPU