- PCU Home
- About Us
- Cargo Control
Port Control Unit (PCU) of Sri Lanka Customs was established in year 2014 under the Container Control Program (CCP) of United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and World Customs Organization (WCO) based on a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Sri Lanka and the United Nations to combat trans-border crimes such as commercial frauds, import, export and transshipment of narcotics, weapons, weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in all kinds of cargo consignments including passenger baggage and parcels.
This unit includes an Air Cargo Control Unit (ACCU) located in BIA and Port Control Unit (PCU) located in customs headquarters.
These units are identified by UNODC and WCO to optimize preventative actions carried out by sea and dry ports in Sri Lanka on containers of lawful, maritime and land cargo in order to reduce their use in illicit activities.
In particular, “Illicit drug traffic, chemical precursors, possible terrorist acts”, thereby increasing effectiveness of current control and investigations in units. Presently this unit is engaged in detection, detention and investigation into above-mentioned areas of customs interest. Officers of this unit is trained specially on the areas mentioned-above by the UNODC and expected to work in this branch at least for three years.
- Maintain effective container controls
- Receive and streamline advance electronic cargo manifests for Air & Sea and also control and monitor port activities
- Identify containers, other consignments using electronic manifests and analyze the same and with the tools available to the PCU and examine those deemed high risk for further investigation and physical examination
- Facilitate legitimate trade
- Train officers in profiling high risk containers
- Maintain corporative and collaborative relationships with the private sector
- Maintain inter – agency corporation to increase the capacity of low enforcement agencies to identify high risk containers/ passengers
- Maintain a closer corporation among the CCP member countries and to exchange information
Port Control Unit,
Sri Lanka Customs,
Telephone: +94 11 2449988